Wednesday, August 25, 2010

And 4th Tri Continues...

I have been wanting to take Lani swimming all summer. Specifically, I wanted to take her to the really fun municipal pool in Bettendorf, Splash Landing (http://www.bettendorf.org/department/?fDD=29-0). So, when I got out of Systems Pathology yesterday, I planned to pick her up and take her there. One thing after another happened (Jon asked me to bring his shoes & socks back to Palmer for his adjustment - wearing flip flops for an adjustment is not helpful to your doctor, Dartagnan was texting me about what he was up to & might need a ride, I forgot the swim dipes & had to go back to our house for them, etc.) and by the time I arrived at Splash Landing, it was already 3:45 (pool is only open until 5:00), and guess what? It was already closed for the season! It usually is open until Labor Day, so I was surprised. Apparently, though, all their lifeguards headed back to college/university already, and all the schools around here started last week, so, they closed early this year. I was really disappointed because it was such a beautiful day and I just wanted to play with her in the zero-entry level pool and water features, maybe take her down the mini waterslide there.

Classes are going well...with the exception of PNS. Only scored 8 (out of 30) on my first exam and that is really bad. So, I am considering contacting the local DC that tutors for the course...Dr. Tonya Rogers. I've heard she really helps people understand and do much better on the tests and Boards.

Rest of my classes are good. I did well on my first Renal and Rad II exams (currently getting B's in both). Did OK on my X-Ray Analysis Test in Toggle, but ROCKED the Atlas Practical - perfect score! Very thrilled with that because I've not had a perfect score until that one at Palmer. It gives me hope. I don't feel as dumb because of it (and trust me, my idea of my intelligence level has taken a beating at Palmer). Took the first test in Nutrition today and should have spent more time reviewing the equations and how to find BMI, TER, BM, and also the signs of nutrient deficiencies. Still think I did pretty well on that and went into it with an A from previous quizzes and our Nutrition Lab assignment. Tomorrow I have my first Public Health test and think it will go well. Nervous about the Axis Practical in Toggle next week. Will practice set-ups on Jon and Dartagnan this weekend so I feel more confident. Fortunately the Axis adjusting is similar to the Atlas adjusting, so it is not like we have to learn a whole new set of information for it, which really helps.

Last weekend I hardly left the house. Just spent a lot of time studying. Did a lot of reading: Extremities Trauma for Rad II; Renal (NaCl & H2O Resorption); Fats, Sports Nutrition, and started Water-Soluble Vitamins chapters in text for Nutrition; Public Health (had to read a chapter about Environment's Impact on Community Health and do report); Toggle (Instrumentation). I wanted to go to church on Sunday, but we woke up late and also had to be at a birthday party for twins we know who turned 40 last week out in Walcott by 12:30, so ended up just getting ready to go to that & did a little house cleaning before we left (changed sheets, vacuumed). Only stayed at party for 2 hours and had to get going because it was WAY past Lani's naptime then and she was getting manic. Was sad to go because at least half the people were my relatives and friends and always like to catch up with them and see what is going on in their lives and get to see their kids growing so fast.

Jon & Dartagnan were out of town the previous weekend to Atlanta for a PI (Personal Injury) Seminar. On the way down, they stopped in Chattanooga for a little tourist activity: Ruby Falls (http://www.rubyfalls.com/). Because they had parked on an incline, Jon set the parking brake on my little Honda Civic. When they left Ruby Falls, he forgot about it, which is normal because we never use it. As they were traveling down Lookout Mountain, the brakes overheated and failed. Jon used to sell Nissans and took many driving courses as a salesperson. Thank goodness! I'm sure those courses helped him to safely plow the car into someone's berm instead of the telephone pole or their mailbox that flanked the berm. Fortunately, Jon and Dartagnan suffered no immediate ill effects and the car was not damaged. Unfortunately, he began having neck pain the next day, while completing the drive to the seminar. The irony of his getting whiplash on the way to a PI seminar was not lost on him.

Have recently watched, with Lani some really good movies: "Bolt," "Monsters Vs. Aliens." Lani loves both. The hamster in "Bolt" is hilarious. I like the blob monster in "Monsters Vs. Aliens." He falls in love with a jello mold! It is so silly. The reptile-like monster reminds me of one of our friends, Mo, especially when he is first introduced and does the little karate bit. Also Jon and I watched "Alien" and "Aliens" with Dartagnan this past weekend because they are classics. I forgot how much I enjoyed the movie "Aliens" and it has been long enough that I couldn't remember all of it, so it was suspenseful. While Jon and D were out of town, I watched "The Young Victoria" and it was excellent.

Jon just got home with Lani. Great news! She went potty in the big girl potty today at school - TWICE! Yippee! She's not done that at school before. She's not peed in the potty at home yet. Very exciting! A new chapter in potty training is launched!

Time to head over to dinner with my parents and my sister-in-law and two nephews who just arrived from California yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment