Monday, June 7, 2010

Finals Countdown...

Only two more days of class left. There was an undercurrent of restlessness today in classes. People were getting up and moving in and out during the classes, taking calls, getting lunch/snack, etc. I think everyone is a little nervous, antsy, with anticipation of finals starting on Friday.

I nabbed an awesome parking spot today (really close to my first class!) and that almost never happens. I'm usually down Main Street hill and have to walk up about a block (it's not that bad, just uphill in the morning: a mini workout to get the blood pumping to my brain!). Many people were missing; probably already studying for Friday's finals. Many of the upper-tri classes have finals before finals officially begin or they have practicals this week and last. Some have only one or two to complete during the actual time of finals, which is nice. I went to classes because many profs give extra credit quizes when attendance is low, so it is a good incentive to show up. Most people can use the extra point or two!

We covered congenital dysplasias and "other weird stuff" in Radiology (Rad) I today. Very interesting. Achondroplasia (tiny/shortened limbs are a finding), cleidocranial dysplasia (missing/tiny clavicles are a finding), Marfan's syndrome (abnormally tall, with spider-like fingers: Abraham Lincoln had it), osteogenesis imperfecta (skeletal fragility with multiple fractures, blue sclera, telephone receiver sign: long bones severely curved), osteopetrosis ("bone within a bone" appearance on x-ray, bones are all dense: can look completely white/opaque on x-ray, brittle).

After classes were over at 1:45, I went to work for a bit. Worked an hour and started getting really hungry, so came home to have a savory Amy's Tamale Verde with Black Beans (note to self: MUST learn how to make similar so can freeze for quick meals). Had waited too long to eat and was warm, so felt woozy. Hands were shaking as I prepared it. Was a very long 4.5 min. for it to microwave (that sounds so silly, but it really felt that way!).

Went back to work for a while longer and left the office at 5:15 to pick up my daughter from her "school" (daycare, but we call it "school" so that she won't be afraid to start real school when the time comes; she'll already be used to that term) at Positive Parenting at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral (PPAT), which is right next door to Palmer (so convenient!). Delaney loves her school. I have to say that my husband's brother, Josh, and Katie, his wife, did a thorough examination of the top daycares in the area and they picked it as one of their top three. Since Katie was a schoolteacher before coming to Palmer, I trust their opinion. We checked out three and liked PPAT the best. Very open, very friendly, very pro-chiropractic. They mix many different teaching/learning styles/theories for a great mix that will help any child to learn, no matter what type of learner the child is (this idea of children having different styles of learning I read about in: A Mind at a Time by Mel Levine). They have many opportunities for children to engage in different activities. There are rooms designated for specific activities, such as the Gross Motor Skill room, the Creative Play room, etc. It is a safe place for kids to be kids and get messy, dirty, wet, and have fun. (In case you are wondering, Josh and Katie had both their children in Skip-A-Long Preschool in Bettendorf, also an excellent facility and their first choice.)

Doing laundry and looking over notes...I must say that I find Oxiclean stain spray the best for getting out baby/toddler stains. I've been very impressed. Especially because Lani seems to be extra talented at getting her clothes covered in either food or paint at school each day. No problem. Oxiclean gets it out. Saves me money on buying clothes. Most of which I buy at garage sales and resale shops anyway, but when children grow so fast, you even hate to lose a dress or shirt to a stain. I try to not buy more than she can reasonably wear at present (however, I think I have already gotten all her fall/winter clothes from the 5 or so garage sales I've gone to that had great kid's clothes: Gymboree, Gap, Flapadoodles, Carters, Old Navy, OshKosh, Adidas, The Children's Place). I take great care of her things so that I can sell them when we are done with them.

I think garage sales are wonderful because you never know what you might find. I've been very fortunate: just about two weeks ago, I found 4 silver-plated chargers (go under the dinner plate in a nice table setting) at a garage sale for $8.00. The tags, still on the back, said each one was $10.00 new. I had stored my chargers up on a high shelf in our pantry and they fell out one night and woke us with the crash. We thought we had an intruder! Well, the fall broke about 4 of them (I had a mix of gold and silver chargers). So I was able to replace them for a price I could swallow. Yea!

I love to entertain. It has been hard not to do as much entertaining since being in school. Number one, it can be expensive, especially if you get any alcohol to share with guests; number two, it can literally eat up a lot of time, mainly because I insist on cleaning the whole house (or as much of it as possible) before a party, and due to food prep time. I really enjoy trying out new recipes when we have guests, so it takes longer to prepare because I've never done it before. I never estimate enough time (ask my husband-he's had to help pull me up to speed with his great prepping of veggies and such, more than once!). I just enjoy being with a group of great friends, especially if I can get an eclectic mix of people. Watching everyone interact and having interesting conversations is the best. Finding out something you didn't know about someone, like the fact that they are SCUBA-certified, or that they have horses, or that they dream of someday working for the Gates Foundation...these are all very intriguing. People are fascinating!

Well, time for me to put in some more quality study time before I hit the hay. I can't forget to write the paper this week for Philosophy III class on pleomorphism and monomorphism, which is the final in that class. I'd like to get it done as soon as possible, but my work schedule is not likely to permit that...maybe I'll have time Friday after I take the Endo final.

No comments:

Post a Comment