Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lazy Saturday OR I Love the Weekend!

Today we slept in! Yea! We never do that. So it was a treat, to be sure. Delaney slept until 8:30. Nice.

My mom called shortly after we woke up and invited us over to brunch. Was delish! We are vegetarians (except for my 14-year-old son, Dartagnan-He LOVES meat). She made omelets stuffed with a lovely array of veggies, with skillet potatoes, toast, pancakes...WAAAY too much, so we weren't able to finish our food.

My mom is a great cook. My parents live only about 5 minutes away from us, which is really great when they invite us over to eat because then we don't have to cook. Nice, because sometimes I'm fresh out of ideas of what to make. Still getting used to being vegetarian (have only been since about January, after reading Eating Animals and watching King Corn and Food, Inc.). The classes on Biochemistry at Palmer made me wonder about our food choices. Also having a little girl after having had breast cancer really made me explore nutrition as a way to maintain optimal health and more carefully examine our food selections. After exploring vegetarianism for about a year, we finally made the transition and I think we are feeling healthier from the change. I feel good that we are not supporting the meat industry because of its negative ecological effects, the way that the food they produce is far from "natural" or "healthy," and the way the animals raised for food production are treated during their short lives can be rather cruel.

After a very filling breakfast we headed home and my husband disappeared into the basement to work on my son's bedroom. Lani was very tired, so I got her settled into bed and she played quietly for a while. I polished some furniture and I started sorting through our cookbooks in preparation for the upcoming garage sale. Got about halfway done with that and decided it was time to devote some time to studying PNS and Endo. Spent some time (about 2 hours) reviewing both. Tried to get the finer points of the hormones of pregnancy and digestion into my head and to chart the course and communications with other nerves that the Facial Nerve (Cranial Nerve VII) has. Drew it out. Labeled the openings that the nerve passes through, the nuclei that it come from, the branches it splits into, what they innervate & what communications they have with other cranial nerves. That usually helps me have a better mental picture and helps me remember the pathway better when the test comes around.

Took a little nap once Lani finally feel asleep. Got up and made Morningstar Prime Grillers for dinner with Food For Life Ezekiel buns (Wow! I'd never had them before and they were very hearty. I could eat only one-half of my burger.). My mom had made potato salad with dill and no raw onions (hate raw onions!) and brought it over a few days ago, so we had that with our burgers. Topped them with guacamole, cheddar, mayo, tomatoes from the CSA we have a share with, and roasted bell pepper. Yum!

The CSA, or Community-Sponsored Agriculture, we have a share with is Country Corners: www.country-corner.com It is great because we are part of it through Palmer (another great thing to take advantage of at Palmer!) We just picked up our first 3/4 bushel share this past Tuesday and are using the veggies/fruits we received. In this week's box: asparagus, leaf lettuce, green onions, strawberries, chives, turnips, radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, new potatoes, and popcorn-on-the-cob with instructions on how to prepare it in the microwave. Also included was information about chives and recipe suggestions. Sweet! We have already used the lettuce, turnips (made a great dish, can find it at: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegetarian-Chickpea-Curry-with-Turnips/Detail.aspx), strawberries (added a tablespoon of sugar to them sliced and served over homemade waffles), popcorn (was very tasty!), and green onions. Really looking forward to the next box!

Got the dishes done (no, we don't have a dishwasher appliance. We are the dishwashers!) and worked on some laundry. Headed back to study now for a bit before bed. Would really like to read some more of the book Get Me Out, that I have from the public library right now. It is a very entertaining account of the history of childbirth and the many changes it has gone through. But really need to study...

No comments:

Post a Comment