Friday, December 31, 2010

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggitty Jig...

It was so good to just be home today!  I slept in because Lani didn't wake until 8:00 -- a miracle from God!  What a beautiful, wonderful, lovely thing...I love just lying in bed and feeling the warmth of the fleece sheets (just had to bust them out before we left town last week because I was just too cold with the regular cotton sheets), the weight of the down comforter and the blankets that I pile on top of that:  one from my mother-in-law (it is really heavy, plush, warm), one from long ago that I bought to be a throw for my couch (heavy chenille), and one from my dear friend Sara that is one of my favorite colors, a gorgeous, muted teal (a lightweight chenille with a basketweave pattern).  Sara gave me the blanket when I was going through my cancer ordeal (now 7 years ago, I think).  It was the perfect gift because I was always cold at work and I could wrap it around my legs or sit in my office chair and wrap my whole body in it if I needed to warm up.  I just love to snuggle down into bed when it is cold outside and I can just stretch and wake up slowly.  It is a treat.

I also got to go to yoga today, so I am an especially happy camper.  Got my haircut this afternoon and while my mom was working on it, I tried to convince her to join me tomorrow and give yoga a try.  I hope she does, because I think she will enjoy it.  She cut Jon's hair, too, and then later, Dartagnan's.  I think D got about 3 inches cut off and it is now out of his eyes.  I kept telling him he was going to give himself whiplash because he was always jerking his neck to flip his hair out of his eyes. 

Didn't study today...that is bad.  I have a lot of work to do tomorrow.  Test coming up early next week in PNS, I believe.  Also, must put together the rest of our group presentation in Toxicology (3 more pages, single-spaced) and then from that have to create the PowerPoint presentation...should only take about 30 min. or so.  Ha ha!  Right!  I wish!

Jon finished reading his Dan Brown book, "The Lost Symbol," that he borrowed from Win.  He really wants me to read it.  I told him I probably won't be able to until the PNS test has passed because I need to focus energy to that.  He understands.

While we were out of town, I did a bit of shopping, but I was unable to find a dress coat to replace my very worn Banana Republic black peacoat I bought in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, on my very first recruiting trip at my previous job.  It is about 9 years old.  I stayed behind to shop in Peoria while Jon brought D and Lani back home yesterday.  I was just preparing to leave Peoria (without having found a coat I'd fallen in love with) and had stopped by Panera to get a sandwich so I could eat and drive home, when I was sitting at a light, waiting to go to the interstate.  I was munching on my sandwich and waiting for the light to change and suddenly, I saw a red Dodge Durango spinning around in front of me and another red Durango looking like it was pushing the other one and they were both headed right toward me.  There was nothing I could do and nowhere to go, so I just thought, "Oh, no, I'm going to get hit."  I tensed up a little, and thankfully, the two vehicles began to lose momentum as they approached my car and then one hit my Honda Civic on the right front quarter panel and smashed it up.  It stopped and two men jumped out and ran away.  Very strange behavior.  The other Durango came to rest right in front of my car, as though I was in line behind him at the light.  Three people were taken away on back boards and I hope they are all OK.  I was fine except BP was a little elevated, as was pulse.  Jon's dad, Jeff, and Mariola, his wife, both came to see me from their ballroom dance lesson.  Jeff checked out the damage and said it would be OK to drive after he bent out a piece that was rubbing on the tire.  I'm glad I could get home, because I was really tired of being gone at that point.  I finally arrived home by 9:00 and couldn't wait to fall in bed, but Jon and I had to unpack the car, which held our food and other bags that we split between his van and the car for the trip.

While we were in Peoria, Jenni, Jon's stepsister, gave Lani an ice-skating lesson.  Jenni teaches at the local rink and is quite an accomplished figure skater.  Lani loved it!  I expected she might be on the ice for 15 min. or so, but she was out there the full 45 min. available and didn't want to quit when it was time.  She's so fearless!  We took pics and I am quite certain she is one of the most beautiful, fun kids in the world!

I still need to call my friends and catch up with them, but just felt like I needed a "decompress" day to myself first.  I'll be on the phone tomorrow to return phone calls and e-mails.

No comments:

Post a Comment